JJ Banks and Son
John Jackson Banks operated the Old Brewery in Wildman Street in Kendal until 1884 when the company became JJ Banks and Son. The brewery ceased to brew around 1903, and is now a cycle shop.
It is believed that in 1847 the brewery was being run in partnership between Zephaniah and John Jackson Banks, and there is a London Gazette reference that this partnership as common brewers was dissolved on the 19th April 1855 with John Jackson Banks continuing the business.
The Pigot & Co. Commercial directory of 1828-9 lists only one brewer in Kendal, who was John Banks of Wildman St, with Zephaniah Banks being a Tanner. It is believed that they were father and son.