Tirril brewery was originally set up in 1999 at the Queens Head in Tirril. It moved to the former gothic brewing rooms at Brougham Hall in order to expand in 2001. With demand continuing to increase in 2007 the Queens Head was sold and the New Inn at Brampton purchased and the brewery moved to a converted barn at Long Marton.
The beer names have local historical connections:
John Bewsher was the licensee of the Queens Head in the early 19th Century.
Old Faithful is named after Charles Gough's dog, who after his master was unfortunately blown off Striding Edge on Helvellyn remained with his master for 3 months before the body was found.
Thomas Slee from Tirril was the principal of a local mathematical academy in the early 19th Century.
1823 comes from a date stone found at Brougham Hall
Note that Brougham is actually pronounced "broom"
website : Tirril Brewery
email : none known
address : Red House, Long Marton, Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria, CA16 6BN
telephone : 017683 61846
tap : New Inn, Brampton (Westmorland)